Well – NASA think so!
After extensive research they concluded that bouncing is more effective and efficient than jogging.
And you can do it while watching TV!
You already know, that to nourish your brain and body you need to MOVE!
When you have a rebounder, you can bounce for 5 minutes, 10 minutes each time you’re passing it. You can plan ahead and bounce for 20-30 minutes, or longer if you’d like to. It’s so convenient and so easy, especially for those people who otherwise have an aversion to exercise!
You’ve probably seen rebounders in department stores or at the gym. The idea isn’t to kill yourself with excessive effort, but to perform small, controlled and comfortable movements.
Women will need a good sports bra, but other than that you don’t need any special clothing. Just kick your shoes off and start.
Benefits of Rebounding
- Zero-impact exercise
- No strain on your joints
- Improves circulation
- Lowers pulse rate and blood pressure and strengthens the heart
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Reverses, prevents or diminishes hardening of the arteries
- Slows down the ageing process
- Resting metabolic rate increased, continuing to burn calories for hours after bouncing
- Improves muscle tone and diminishes body fat
- Improves co-ordination and balance
- Reduces stress and tension
- Increases energy and vitality by stimulating the thyroid gland, pituitary gland and the adrenals so you’re able to work longer, sleep better, and feel more relaxed and able to cope
- Boosts the lymphatic and immune system minimising the number of colds, allergies and digestive problems
- Fits in with your lifestyle
- It’s fun!
Buying a rebounder
You can buy a rebounder very cheaply from some of the catalogue stores and it might be all you need to get you started and to convince you that this exercise is going to work for you.
At that point you might want to consider a more robust and reliable brand. Make sure it has:
- 6 legs for stability – cheaper 4 leg models sometimes topple over
- Unscrewable legs – for easy storage
- A sturdy spring system – to guarantee sufficient support for your joints
- A non-slip mat – for your more ambitious movements!
Very often the rebounder will come with some examples of simple exercises you can do, and there are rebounding books and DVDs you can buy. Sometimes you’ll find suggestions on specialist sites on the internet, but really all you have to remember is: take it gently, especially at first, and simply bounce to your heart’s content.
Rebounding is good for everyone, whatever age and level of flexibility and fitness. For the elderly, and disabled, you can get one with a stabilising bar to hold on to. Many people in wheelchairs have increased their strength and range of movement bit by bit on a rebounder. (Always check with your doctor if you have any concerns.)